Published by DC Comics on April 6th 2016
Purchase links: Amazon
Add to Goodreads
Following the New York Times #1 bestselling original graphic novels Batman: Earth One and Superman: Earth One Volume 1 and Volume 2 comes Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1!
Critically acclaimed, best-selling writer Grant Morrison (All-Star Superman, Batman, Inc.) once again pushes the boundaries of the graphic novel page in his mind-bending new take on the most powerful woman in the DC Universe. With stunning art by Yanick Paquette (Swamp Thing), Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1 is an easily accessible jumping on point for new readers.
We received this book/audiobook for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect our opinion of the book or the content of our review.
*sigh* I have so much to feel about this comic. It had such a potential to be awesome and I had some fun reading it, and on occasion I even laughed out loud but that doesn’t make up for how uncomfortable I felt during some parts of this, even yelling THIS IS NOT SOMETHING DIANA WOULD DO/SAY! so let me give you a bullet so I can save us both the pesky task of going through paragraphs of my ranting.
What I liked
- I’m always here for bisexual Dianna, especially because she now has a hot blonde lover in Paradise Island. I’m a sucker for Blonde-Brunette pairings so this was my weakness.
- Captain Trevor is a complete cinnamon roll. Adorable and very responsible so I wanna keep him much like Diana.
- All the kink/BDSM related comments made me chuckle because that is 9/10 my cup of tea.
- Body positivity, Beth Candy was fun. Very Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect, but she was fun so let’s say it’s good to have a character like this in comics.
- This whole page:
What I hated
- This is not what Wonder Woman stands for. She is an icon to equality and Paradise Island even when problematic wasn’t such a horrible place.
- This frame:
All this “…Like a girl” to mean weakness is bull and the world knows it, obviously Diana would know it COMING FROM A WORLD WHERE WOMEN ARE STRONG AND DETERMINED AND AMAZING AND THE WHOLE CULTURE IS TO PRAISE WOMANHOOD. Maybe Grant Morrison should pick up a book and learn a thing or two, maybe he should look at the window and see how the world is changing and maybe take notes from The Justice League animated series or the animated movie
- This has the biggest pet peeve I have. Trying to make pass one thing as forward and feminist when is full of misogynistic stuff like the frame above, the fat shaming Diana and the women in Paradise Island do and specially the comment that Diana’s strength come from her MASCULINE SIDE!
These are the reasons why I give this number a 2.5 stars and if I have to make it round I’ll go to 3 stars but really DC step up your game.